By C. Kenneth Dodd Jr.
This functional handbook of amphibian ecology and conservation brings jointly a special, foreign workforce of amphibian researchers to supply a cutting-edge overview of the numerous new and fascinating innovations used to review amphibians and to trace their conservation prestige and inhabitants traits. the mixing of ecology and conservation is a common end result of the categories of questions posed via those disciplines: how amphibians can and will be sampled, marked, and via time; how abundance and inhabitants traits are measured; what are the powerful statistical equipment that may be utilized in ecology and conservation; what roles do amphibians play in neighborhood constitution and serve as; how do animals functionality of their surroundings; and what impacts the long term endurance of species assemblages?
even supposing emphasizing box ecology, sections on physiological ecology, genetics, panorama ecology, and affliction research also are incorporated. The ebook describes the newest statistical methods in amphibian box ecology and conservation, in addition to using versions in analyzing box learn. a lot of this knowledge is scattered within the clinical literature or now not on hand, and the goal is to supply a cheap, accomplished synthesis to be used via graduate scholars, researchers, and working towards conservationists all over the world.
Read Online or Download Amphibian Ecology and Conservation: A Handbook of Techniques PDF
Similar methodology & statistics books
DNA within the nucleus of plant and animal cells is kept within the type of chromatin. Chromatin and the Chromatin remodelling enzymes play a major function in gene transcription.
This publication provides the 1st vast examine the quickly rising box of data-intensive technology, with the aim of influencing the global clinical and computing learn groups and encouraging the following iteration of scientists. more and more, clinical breakthroughs can be powered through complex computing services that aid researchers manage and discover mammoth datasets.
Peter Atkins is the shining exception to the rule of thumb that scientists make negative writers. A Fellow at Oxford and a number one chemist, he has received admiration for his targeted, lucid, and but rigorous causes of technological know-how. Now he turns to the greatest--and so much controversial--questions of human life. Can the clinical approach let us know whatever of worth approximately beginning, demise, the foundation of reality--and its finish?
This sensible handbook of amphibian ecology and conservation brings jointly a unique, overseas crew of amphibian researchers to supply a state of the art assessment of the numerous new and fascinating suggestions used to check amphibians and to trace their conservation prestige and inhabitants developments.
- Carving Our Destiny: Scientific Research Faces a New Millennium
- The Lab: Creativity and Culture
- Design of Experiments: Applications
- Polarimetry of stars and planetary systems
Additional info for Amphibian Ecology and Conservation: A Handbook of Techniques
Birds and mammals use up to 98% of their ingested energy to maintain their body temperatures, leaving as little as 2% to be converted to new animal tissue: food for predators. In contrast, amphibians convert about 50% of their energy gained from food into new tissue, which is transferred to the next level in the food chain 1 Amphibian diversity and life history | 17 (Pough et al. 2004). If amphibians disappeared, would the world be overrun with houseﬂies, mosquitoes, and crop-eating insect pests?
A model need not embrace all components of the system; it needs only to be adequate for the scope of the investigation. There is always a possible risk that the conceptual model is inappropriate or over-simpliﬁed; thus, a slightly more complex model may need to be developed. Adopting a more complex model focuses researchers on collecting additional data that might prove important, despite the extra costs involved with sampling and measurements. In other 2 Setting objectives in ﬁeld studies | 27 words, it might be better to collect more data than appears necessary at ﬁrst, than to discover later that some important parameter was omitted.
Rare or threatened species are often selected because of conservation applications, but research on them could incur potential risks due to ethical considerations. Researchers should avoid choosing a rare or threatened species if common or less vulnerable surrogate species can be selected. 3 Pilot/desk study A preliminary pilot study usually helps to develop and test realistic and achievable objectives, and avoids later shortcomings and failures. Usually a pilot study is carried out on short temporal and small spatial scales, and allows the testing of conceptual models and methods.